Zimoun, born in Switzerland in 1977, autodidact, lives and works in Bern. His work has been exhibited and performed on five continents, and has been recognized with awards from Bundesamt für Kultur/BAK, the Aeschlimann Corti Award, Prix Ars Electronica, and the Kiefer Hablitzel Preis from the Swiss Art Awards.
Using simple and functional components, Zimoun builds architecturally-minded platforms of sound. Exploring mechanical rhythm and flow in prepared systems, his installations incorporate commonplace industrial objects. In an obsessive display of curiously collected material, these works articulate a tension between the orderly patterns of Modernism and the chaotic forces of life. Carrying an emotional depth, the acoustic hum of natural phenomena blends effortlessly with electric reverberation in Zimoun's minimalist constructions.
Past exhibitions of his work have included the National Art Museum of China, Beijing; Vasarely Fondation, Aix-en-Provence; Haus für elektronische Künste, Basel; Nam June Paik Art Museum, Korea; Ringling Museum of Art, Florida; Kuandu Museum of Fine Arts, Taipei; Seoul Museum of Art, Korea; Museum of Contemporary Art, Liechtenstein; Musée des Beaux-Arts, Rennes; Museum Les Champs Libres, Rennes; Harnett Museum of Art, Richmond; Kunsthalle Bern; Museum of Fine Arts, Bern; bitforms gallery, New York; Galerie Denise René, Paris; Oboro Gallery, Montreal; National Museum of Contemporary Art (MNAC), Bucharest; Borusan Contemporary, Istanbul; Beall Art Center, Los Angeles; List Art Center, Brown University, Providence; CUNY Graduate Center, New York; Kunstverein, Mannheim; Metropolitan Arts Center, Belfast; Museum of Contemporary Art (MSUM), Ljubljana; Art Basel, Switzerland; and the Museo d’Art, Lugano; among others.
- 435 prepared dc-motors, 2030 cardboard boxes 35x35x35cm by Zimoun
- 317 prepared dc-motors, papper bags, shipping container by ZIMOUN
- 240 prepared dc-motors by Zimoun
- 150 prepared dc-motors, 270 kg wood, 210m string wire by Zimoun
- New exhibition at the Biennale STRP by Zimoun
- [KE]³. New installation by Zimoun
- 20 prepared dc-motors, 81 cardboard boxes 70x70x70cm. Zimoun & H. Zweifel
- Zimoun : 36 ventilators, 4.7 m³ packing chips, 2014
- Zimoun: 43 prepared dc-motors, 31.5kg packing paper, 2013
- 2 prepared dc-motors, cotton balls, cardboard boxes 16.5x12x5cm by ZIMOUN
- First permanent installation by Zimoun
- Zimoun: 60 & 318 at Prague and Berlin
- 1 prepared dc-motor, cotton ball, cardboard box 23x23x6cm by Zimoun
- ZIMOUN «SCULPTING SOUND»
- "138 prepared dc-motors, cotton balls, cardboard boxes 40x40x40cm, 2011"
- Zimoun + Hannes Zweifel