Petra Blaisse (London 1955), more popularly known in the world of architecture, for her colaboration in some of the most brilliant projects by Rem Koolhaas, as the carpets and finishes for the Seattle Central Library (2000-2004) or finishes and curtains for the Casa da Música in Porto (1999-2005) and acoustic walls, started her career at the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam, in the Department of Applied Arts. It was there that Blaisse first collaborated with Koolhaas. From 1987, she worked as freelance designer and won distinction for her installations of architectural work, in which the exhibited work was challenged more than displayed. Gradually her focus shifted to the use of textiles, light and finishes in interior space and, at the same time, to the design of gardens and landscapes.
In 1991, she founded Inside Outside. Since 1999 Blaisse invited specialist of various disciplines to work with her and currently the team consists of about ten people of different nationalities. Inside Outside works globally on projects of increasing technical sophistication and scale. Throughout the years, Inside Outside has collaborated with various architects and designers. Blaisse has lectured and taught extensively in Europe, Asia and the United States.
In the past years, the opening of a number of public and private buildings in which Inside Outside implemented interior and landscape interventions brought the work of Blaisse’s studio to the attention of a broader public. Examples are the restoration project for the Hackney Empire Theatre in London (all curtains, 2000-2005), the gardens, carpets and finishes for the Seattle Central Library (2000-2004), finishes and curtains for the Casa da Música in Porto (1999-2005) and acoustic walls and curtains for the Mercedes Benz museum in Stuttgart.
For landscape design, the studio presently works, together with OMA Hong Kong and Rotterdam, on the landscape masterplan for the West Kowloon Cultural District in Hong Kong and on public gardens (Shenzhen Stock Exchange, Qatar Foundation Headquarters and Education City Library) and on master plans for new urban development areas in Ghadames and Sebha, Libya.
ACT > 01.2019
- Flats and offices, renovation in the heart of the French capital by Moussafir Architectes
- OMA and INSIDE OUTSIDE collaborate on “Ethar – Honoring Generosity”, Monument for Charity in Dubai
- A colossus of industrial heritage becomes public library by CIVIC Architects
- Inside Outside vs Petra Blaisse: A Retrospective
- 10 Architecture Studios Led by Women
- Inside Outside/Petra Blaisse, Sonneveld House². Other vision on Dutch Modernity
- Bordeaux 2030. Scenography by Petra Blaisse
- Highlights TEXTIELLAB: OMA for Rothschild Bank
- RE-SET. Dutch Pavilion by Petra Blaisse
- RE-SET. New wings for architecture. Petra Blaisse in Venice
- PETRA BLAISSE in Cornell
- MOVEMENTS CONTINUED. PETRA BLAISSE
- WITH YOUR EYES OPEN