GONG DONG, one of the most active young architects in China, received Bachelor & Master of Architecture from Tsinghua University, followed by a diploma at University of Illinois where he received the Master of Architecture. He also had an exchange experience at Technical University of Munich. During his study in America, Gong Dong received several awards including Excellence Award from Steedman Fellowship International Architectural Design Competition, 2000; First Prize from American Institute of Architects Chicago Chapter’s Student Design Competition,2001 and Excellence Award from Malama Learning Centre International Architecture Design Cmpetition,2002. Prior to establishing his own practice he worked for Soloman Cordwell Buenz & Associates in Chicago, then at Richard Meier & Partners and Steven Holl Architects in New York.
VECTOR ARCHITECTS was founded in 2008, Beijing. During seven years practice, we have always believed that design needs to confront problems, and it should be the attitude an architect ought to possess. Instead of enforcing architect's self-conscious or following icons and superficial forms, a good design has to respect the existing environment with support of logic and reasons. The contemporary Chinese design industry today is rather blundering that the rapid production and pursuit of landmark in height, size and form have become the main stream.
Architects no longer devote their effort for the fundamental and substantial truth of architecture. In this environment, the persistence of confronting problems remains essential and crucial. In every project, Vector Architects is devoted to discover the unrevealing relationship and various possibilities in existing context. Through our design, to create the new perception and experience which are exclusive to each project. The sense of ‘being here’ is uniquely established and reflected in percipient's emotion and action. Therefore, the space, being the vessel of living, has formed an irreplaceable connection between place and experience.
- Three facets responding to the people and the sea. Chapel of Music by Vector Architects
- An important role for the community. The Lighthouse of Wishes by Vector Architects
- 10 prayer centres whose spaces transport you to another level
- The MoMA presents the exhibition Reuse, Renew, Recycle: Recent Architecture from China
- Atmosphere as under a floating "cloud". Restaurant y Sea by Vector Architects
- Reactivating historical assets in an intelligent way. Suochengli Neighborhood Library by Vector Architects
- Vector Architects renovates an old sugar mill into Alila Yangshuo hotel
- Cover on chaos. Renovation of the Captain's House by Vector Architects
- Taoyuanju Community Center. 重庆桃源居社区中心
- Seashore Chapel by Vector Architects
- Seashore Library by Vector Architects