Iñaki Abalos, (San Sebastián, 1956) graduated from the Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura de Madrid ETSAM(1978), before going on to become a Doctor of Architecture, PHD (1991), and Professor of Architectural Project Design at he ETSAM. In 2009 he was Kenzo Tange Professor in Harvard University and since 2010 has been a guest professor at the Graduate School of Design (GSD).
A founder member of Ábalos&Herreros (1984-2007) and of Ábalos+Sentkiewicz arquitectos (since 2007), he has sat on the scientific committee of the Study Center of the Canadian Centre for Architecture (CCA) in Montreal (since 2005) and on the management board of the Barcelona Institute of Architecture (since 2008).
He is the director of the Laboratorio de Técnicas y Paisajes Contemporáneos (Madrid, since 2002), and in 2009 the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) awarded him its international membership. He has taught at the Architectural Association (London), the EPF (Lausanne) and at the universities of Columbia, Princeton and Cornell.
Ábalos is the author of Le Corbusier. Rascacielos (Ayuntamiento de Madrid, 1988), Tower and office (The MIT Press, Cambridge [Mass.], 2003) and Natural-artificial (ExitLMI, Madrid, 1999), with Juan Herreros; and The good life (Editorial Gustavo Gili, Barcelona, 2000), the two volumes of Atlas pintoresco (Editorial Gustavo Gili, Barcelona, 2005 and 2007), and the monograph Alejandro de la Sota (Fundación Caja de Arquitectos, Barcelona, 2009; with Josep Llinàs and Moisés Puente). He also edited Naturaleza y artificio (Editorial Gustavo Gili, Barcelona,2009).
- "Dualisms: A House, A Palace" exhibition
- Presentation of the IV International Architecture Congress, ARCHITECTURE: CHANGE OF CLIMATE
- Abalos & Herreros’ exhibition in the CCA
- Opening. Spanish Pavilion Biennale di Venezia 2014
- Iñaki Abalos, curator of the Spanish Pavilion at 2014 Venice Biennale
- ÁBALOS, SENTKIEWICZ Y URSPURNG
- IÑAKI ÁBALOS Appointed Chair of the Department of Architecture at the GSD Harvard University
- Highspeed Train Station by Ábalos+Sentkiewicz Arquitectos
- La Caseta desmontable y la Casa Bloc del GATCPAC. Iñaki Abalos and Victor Pérez Escolano
- ANTONI TÀPIES
- IÑAKI ÁBALOS
- BRUNO TAUT. ALPINE ARCHITECTURE
- ÁBALOS+SENTKIEWICZ. 6 VERTICALSCAPES