José Manuel Ballester (Madrid, 1960) is a painter and a photographer. Degree in Fine Arts, 1984. Since then he has won various awards and scholarships. He has participated in a lot of exhibitions all over the world, including the international ARCO fair for the last ten years. His work forms part of the collection of the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía and it has been exhibited in Beijing, Canada, New York, London, Sao Paulo, France, Germany, Tokyo and Colombia. First Prize in Painting in the XVIII Biennial of Alexandria and the National Print Award, 1998.Premio Nacional de Fotografía 2010.
His artistic career began with a particular attention on the technique of the Italian and Flemish painting of the XV and XVIII centuries. Since 1990, he started to blend painting and photography. We can highlight, between his numerous exhibitions, Lugares de paso, Valencia, 2003; Setting Out, New York, 2003; or Habitación 523, Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, 2005; and recently Fervor de metrópolis, Pinacoteca do Estado de São Paulo, 2011; La abstracción de la realidad, Sala Alcalá 31, Community of Madrid and DA2, Salamanca, 2011; and Espacios ocultos in the Spanish Academy, Rome, 2012. He has taken part in numerous group exhibitions in art fairs as ARCO, Art Chicago, Artforum Germany, Paris Photo and Art Miami and in cities such as Dallas, Paris, Miami, São Paulo, Dubai, Beijing, Shanghai, Toronto and many others. And some more current ones like: Gli Spazi Nascosti di José Manuel Ballester Nei Palazzi di Genova, Museo di Palazzo Reale e Musei di Strada Nuova, Genoa, Italy (2017), Paisajes encontrados: El Bosco, El Greco, Goya, Museo Lázaro Galdiano, Madrid, Spain (2016), Museos en blanco, Ivorypress, Madrid, Spain (2015).
ACT > 10/05/2018
- "Variaciones a partir de Malevich" an exhibition by José Manuel Ballester at Ivorypress
- SPACES. Norman Foster Foundation through the Eye of José Manuel Ballester
- Fervor da Metrópole by José Manuel Ballester
- José Manuel Ballester: At the studio, at Pilar Serra Gallery
- 'Museos en Blanco', by José Manuel Ballester
- José Manuel Ballester. Forests of Light, in Zaragoza
- 60 miradas a Ferrovial. José Manuel Ballester
- JOSÉ MANUEL BALLESTER. BOSQUES DE LUZ / Forests of Light
- BALLESTER NATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY PRIZE