Josep Lluís Mateo was born in Barcelona (1949) and graduated in Architecture in 1974 from the ETSAB and gained his doctorate (cum laude) at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia in 1994.
Mateo’s practice is based in Barcelona, and he is currently involved in a number of local and international projects such as the new Film Theatre of Catalonia in Barcelona, the new headquarters for PGGM Pension Fund Company in Zeist, Holland and the office building on the former site of Renault factories in Boulogne-Billancourt, Paris, among others.
With each of his projects, Mateo seeks to connect the practice of construction with research and development in both intellectual and programmatic terms. He works in the area between the sphere of ideas and the physical world of reality.
Academic collaborations and teaching:
Josep Lluís Mateo has been Professor of the Architecture Department at the Swiss Federal Polytechnic in Zurich (ETH-Z) since 2002. He has also taught and lectured at numerous institutions around the world, including Princeton, Columbia University in New York, the Harvard Graduate School of Design, ABK Stuttgart, UP8 Paris, OAF Oslo and ITESM Mexico. He was Visiting Scholar at the Jean P. Getty Center in Los Angeles from 1991 to 1992. Josep Lluís Mateo is President since 2009 of the Board of Directors of the Barcelona Institute of Architecture. He has been a member of a number of juries and expert committees, including the Quality Committee of Barcelona City Council (2000-2008), and for prizes such as the European Landscape Award and the Thyssen Award.
Recent exhibitions and prizes:
The practice’s work has been exhibited on numerous occasions thanks to its international influence. New York’s MoMA devoted a space in the exhibition “Spain: On Site” (2006) to its apartment building in Valencia for the Sociopolis Project. Individual exhibitions include those at Ras Gallery (Barcelona, 2009), Architekturgalerie Aedes (Berlin, 2004), Architekturzentrum Wien (Vienna, 1998), Col•legi d’Arquitectes de Catalunya (Barcelona, 1998),Galerie Fragner (Prague, 1998), Galerie Aedes (Berlin, 1994), Architekturgalerie Luzern (Luzern, 1992) and Architekturgalerie Munich (Munich, 1991).
The work of Josep Lluís Mateo has been awarded many prizes, including:
- Top International Purpose-Built Venue 2008, First Prize. Best International Convention Centre category.
Organized by C&IT magazine, London. Project: CCIB-Barcelona International Convention Centre
- 2008 Archizinc Award, First Prize. Collective Housing category. Project: Sant Jordi Students’ Hall of Residence, Barcelona
- European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture - Mies van der Rohe Award 2005, Runner-up. Project: CCIB- Barcelona International Convention Centre
- 15th Award of Grupo Dragados de Arquitectura.
- Barcelona, Best Architecture Guide: 42 buildings to get to know the city of Barcelona, BCN [II]
- 12 brick housing building that will surprise you
- École Supérieure des Métiers Artistiques, ESMA and student accommodation by Mateo Arquitectura
- Dual dialogue. Toni Catany International Photography Centre by Mateo Arquitectura
- A place to work and to meet. Banc Sabadell Space by Mateo Arquitectura
- Material expression and domestic life. Housing complex in Heerhugowaard by Mateo Arquitectura
- New Banc Sabadell Company HUB by Josep Lluis Mateo
- "Le bon sauvage" by Josep Lluís Mateo
- Island, Desert, Mountain: ARCHITECTURE DEGREE ZERO
- Pablo Casals Aguirre films, Bayonne entrée de ville France by Mateo Arquitectura
- Urban planning and housing in Bordeaux by Mateo Arquitectura
- Gateway to Bayonne by Josep Lluís Mateo [II]
- Remodeling of El Ninot Market in Barcelona [II]
- Urban intervention in Draga-Sibenik by Mateo Arquitectura
- Bayonne Marinadour by Mateo Arquitectura
- New Headquartes for the Deutsche Bundesbank
- Dwellings Toulouse by Mateo Arquitectura 
- Revisiting PGGM's headquarters on landscape, Mateo Arquitectura
- PGGM office building in Netherlands by Mateo Arquitectura 
- 'The small scale' by Josep Lluís Mateo
- Tête de Pont by Josep Lluís Mateo, in progress
- DWELLINGS IN TOULOUSE by MATEO ARQUITECTURA
- Ullastret revisited by Jordi Bernadó
- Luxury apartment building by Josep Lluis Mateo
- Cultural Center in Castelo Branco by Josep Lluis Mateo
- Unification of the entrances to the Banc Sabadell tower
- "Middle East", by Josep Lluis Mateo
- JOSEP LLUIS MATEO AT CÍRCULO. Place, Time and Matter
- PRAGUE NATIONAL GALLERY ENTRANCE HALL 2004-2012 by MATEO ARQUITECTURA
- Panta Rhei - πάντα ρει
- Monument to Freedom and Unity in Leipzig
- Mateo Arquitectura at the 13. Mostra Internazionale di Architettura di Venezia
- "ON BUILGING, Matter and Form." The initial power of the building capture in pictures
- MERCAT DEL NINOT. Work in progress
- PGGM office building in Netherlands by Mateo Arquitectura
- Architectural Pappers. ISSUE 6 - MIDDLE EAST 1. Positions.
- TORRE TELEFÓNICA. DIAGONAL 00
- Headquarters of the new Film Theatre of Catalonia in the Raval district, by Josep Lluis Mateo
- ICEX interviews Josep Lluís Mateo
- Josep Lluís Mateo presents the new head offices of PGGM
- "THE FACTORY", by Mateo Arquitectura