Solid Objectives – Idenburg Liu (SO – IL) is an idea driven design office founded by Florian Idenburg and Jing Liu in 2008, and is currently led together with Ilias Papageorgiou.. With a global reach, it brings together extensive experience from the fields of architecture, academia and the arts. The firm has extensive recognition and prizes, including the Emerging Voices award from the Architectural League, the MoMA PS1 Young Architects Program Award, and the AIA Young Architects Award. The office has received praise for many of their works including the design of Frieze Art Fair New York, and for their largest building to date, the Manetti Shrem Museum of Art at the University of California at Davis.
Partners. Florian Idenburg, principal. Florian Idenburg (1975, the Netherlands) holds a MSc. in Architecture from Delft University of Technology. Prior to founding SO – IL, Idenburg gained eight years of experience at the practice of Pritzker laureates Kazuyo Sejima + Ryue Nishizawa / SANAA. Idenburg is a recognized voice in academia and has held teaching positions at Harvard, Columbia, Princeton and the University of Kentucky.
Jing Liu, M Arch, principal. A native of China, Jing Liu received her education in China, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States, concluding with a Master’s of Architecture from Tulane School of Architecture in New Orleans. Liu has been a faculty member at The Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation at Columbia University since 2009, and advises the Master’s thesis at Parsons The New School of Design. In addition to her professional and academic pursuits, Liu serves on the board of Van Alen Institute.
Ilias Papageorgiou, partner. He was born in Athens, Greece. He holds a Diploma of Architecture from the Aristotle University in Greece, and a Masters in Architecture from Harvard University. Papageorgiou has been with SO–IL since its inception in 2008 and has played a key role in the firm’s recognition and success. He became a partner in 2013. Besides practicing, Papageorgiou is a frequent lecturer and visiting critic at various universities and has taught design studios at Columbia University’s Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation.
Sooran Kim, associate, joined SO – IL in 2011 and relocated in Seoul to oversee the construction of Kukje project. Sooran holds a Masters of Architecture in Urban Design from Harvard University.
Ted Baab, associate, joined SO – IL in 2011. Ted holds a Masters of Architecture from Harvard University.
- A unifying fold. Site Verrier cultural center by SO – IL and FREAKS
- Whisper with nature. 'Murmuration (1909)' Installation by SO - IL
- Connecting people to place. Into the Hedge by SO-IL
- L’air pour l’air, a performance by SO-IL. Mask and shelter in Chicago Biennial
- L’Atelier de l’Arsenal by SO-IL and Laisné Roussel architects. Place Mazas – Réinventer la Seine
- SO-IL develops MINI LIVING-Breathe a Housing Prototype conscious living concept on a minimal footprint
- First images of Jan Shrem and Maria Manetti Shrem Museum of Art by SO-IL
- SO – IL and FREAKS, First Prize to Redesign France’s Site Verrier
- BLUEPRINT. SO-IL wraps NY's Storefront
- SO–IL wins competition for UC Davis Art Museum
- Kukje Art Center by SO-IL
- Pole Dance by SO-IL
- Tri-Colonnade by SO-IL