Thomas Heatherwick established in 1994, Heatherwick Studio recognised for its work in architecture, urban infrastructure, sculpture, design and strategic thinking. Today a team of 180, including architects, designers and makers, works from a combined studio and workshop in Kings Cross, London.
At the heart of the studio’s work is a profound commitment to finding innovative design solutions, with a dedication to artistic thinking and the latent potential of materials and craftsmanship. This is achieved through a working methodology of collaborative rational inquiry, undertaken in a spirit of curiosity and experimentation.
In the twenty years of its existence, Heatherwick Studio has worked in many countries, with a wide range of commissioners and in a variety of regulatory environments. Through this experience, the studio has acquired a high level of expertise in the design and realisation of unusual projects, with a particular focus on the large scale.
The studio’s work includes a number of nationally significant projects for the UK, including the award-winning UK Pavilion at the Shanghai World Expo 2010, the Olympic Cauldron for the London 2012 Olympic Games, and the New Bus for London.
Thomas is an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects; a Senior Research Fellow at the Victoria & Albert Museum; and has been awarded Honorary Doctorates from the Royal College of Art, University of Dundee, University of Brighton, Sheffield Hallam University and University of Manchester.
He has won the Prince Philip Designers Prize, and, in 2004, was the youngest practitioner to be appointed a Royal Designer for Industry. In 2010, Thomas was awarded the RIBA’s Lubetkin Prize and the London Design Medal in recognition of his outstanding contribution to design.
In 2013 Thomas was awarded a CBE for his services to the design industry.
- Join from memory threads. Azabudai Hills by Heatherwick Studio
- Heatherwick Studio designs a new community library for Columbia
- Saudi Arabian desalination plant into museum by Heatherwick Studio
- New step in sustainability. Google Bay View Campus by BIG + Heatherwick Studio opens its doors
- Heatherwick Studio designs new floating parkland pier for Seoul
- Heatherwick Studio completes first Phase of Mixed-Use complex "1,000 Trees"
- 10 Projects whose Stairs make climbing a memorable act
- New Castellana 69 office building by Thomas Heatherwick, in Madrid
- Heatherwick's €212 Million park, a new landscape floating on the Hudson
- Architecture, design and landscape as tools for a healing environment. Maggie’s Leeds Centre by Heatherwick Studio
- Heatherwick Studio unveils a Lobby Pavilion at joining High Line condos Lantern House
- BIG + Heatherwick Studio's Google headquarters roof construction progress
- Heatherwick Studio launches Toranomon-Azabudai district in Tokyo
- What is the name of Thomas Heatherwick's NYC installation?
- Coal Drops Yard in King’s Cross, by Heatherwick Studio opens to the public
- Near completed, Coal Drops Yard in King’s Cross, by Heatherwick Studio. Opening to the public on October 2018
- Fosun Foundation, a theatre with curtain-like facade completed by Heatherwick Studio & Foster + Partners
- Opening. Zeitz MOCAA, like a vaulted cathedral, by Thomas Heatherwick
- New renderings by BIG and Heatherwick, for new Google headquarters
- “Vessel” by Heatherwick. A New York’s Eiffel Tower
- Bring the detail to the limit. Pacific Place
- New plans by BIG and Heatherwick, for new Google headquarters in California
- The Historic Coal Drop Buildings into New Shopping Area by Heatherwick
- Richard Serra and Thomas Heatherwick awarded with the Innovator Awards
- Learning Hub in Singapore by Heatherwick Studio
- Images by BIG and Heatherwick Studio for Google’s headquarters
- Thomas Heatherwick and Bjarke Ingels to design Google's new California HQ
- New border, new pier by Thomas Heatherwick in New York's Hudson River
- A Grain Silo for Zeitz MOCAA Museum by Thomas Heatherwick
- Model maker/designer at Heatherwick Studio
- THOMAS HEATHERWICK. THE TRUFFLE PIG PROCESS
- The Olimpics Cauldron by Thomas Heatherwick [II]
- London 2012 Olympic Cauldron by Thomas Heatherwick
- HEATHERWICK STUDIO: Designing The Extraordinary
- Thomas Heatherwick’s Thoughts on China's Building Boom and More
- UK Pavillion, Shanghai Expo 2010 by Thomas Heatherwick