Steven Holl was born in 1947 in Bremerton, Washington. He graduated from the University of Washington and pursued architecture studies in Rome in 1970. In 1976 he attended the Architectural Association in London and established STEVEN HOLL ARCHITECTS in New York City. Considered one of America's most important architects.He has realized cultural, civic, academic and residential projects both in the United States and internationally. Most recently completed are the Cité de l'Océan et du Surf in Biarritz, France (2011).
Steven Holl is a tenured Professor at Columbia University's Graduate School of Architecture and Planning. He has lectured and exhibited widely and has published numerous texts.
Recently the office has won a number of international design competitions including the new design for the Contemporary Art Institute at Virginia Commonwealth University (Richmond, USA) and he has been recognized with architecture's most prestigious awards and prizes. Recently, he received the RIBA 2010 Jencks Award, and the first ever Arts Award of the BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards (2009). In 2006 Steven Holl received honorary degrees from Seattle University and Moholy-Nagy University in Budapest. In 2003 he was named Honorary Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA).
Steven Holl is a member of the American National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB), the American Institute of Architects, the American Association of Museums, the Honorary Whitney Circle, the Whitney Museum of American Art; and the International Honorary Committee, Vilpuri Library, of the Alvar Aalto Foundation.
- Steven Holl Architects near completing the REACH, at Kennedy Center
- [NEW VIDEO] The Institute for Contemporary Art by Steven Holl Architects
- Steven Holl Architects wins University College Dublin’s Future Campus Competition
- Glassell School of Art, MFAH, by Steven Holl Archiects
- Steven Holl, Franklin Azzi Arch, Paul Arene wins the competition for New Angers Collectors Museum and Hotel
- Steven Holl Architects Wins International Design Competition for New Residential Quarters in Moscow
- Institute for Contemporary Art, VCU by Steven Holl Architects
- New Maggie's Centre by Steven Holl opens in London with Translucent Glass Façade
- Lewis Arts Complex by Steven Holl Architects and BNIM Architects
- Colors of Humanity. Steven Holl Architects wins New Médecins sans Frontières Headquarters competition
- [VIDEO] Visual Arts Building, University of Iowa: Steven Holl Architects
- Cultural and Health Center in Shanghai by Steven Holl Architects
- Visual Arts Building by Steven Holl
- Steven Holl’s Design, won the competition for Institute for Advanced Study
- New videos of "Tesseracts of Time"
- Steven Holl and Jessica Lang, dance couple
- The Langelinie and Marmormolen harbor gateway by Steven Holl approved
- Interview with Elia Zenghelis. Educating Architecture
- The Ex of In House by Steven Holl Architects
- Houston's Museum of Fine Arts Unveils Campus Expansion by Steven Holl
- A Conversation and a walk about Glasgow School of Art with Steven Holl
- Maggie's Centre at St Bartholomew's Hospital by Steven Holl Architects
- Steven Holl wins 2014 Praemium Imperiale Award
- Sifang Art Museum. Talking with Steven Holl. [2 VIDEOS]
- Ice giant: Steven Holl completes the new Glasgow School of Art
- Steven Holl wins The Culture and Art Center of Qingdao City.
- Campbell Sports Center, a Conversation with Steven Holl and Chris McVoy [VIDEOS]
- NANJING SIFANG ART MUSEUM. By Steven Holl
- CAMPBELL SPORTS CENTER by STEVEN HOLL
- Two Videos on Steven Holl Architects’ Sliced Porosity Block
- 32BNY: Lebbeus (Steven Holl & Sanford Kwinter)
- TIANJIN ECOCITY ECOLOGY AND PLANNING MUSEUMS
- Daeyang Gallery and House [II] [VIDEOS]
- Daeyang Gallery and House
- CITE DE L'OCEAN ET DU SURF OPENS IN BIARRITZ, FRANCE. in Detail
- Knut Hamsun Center. in Detail