Miguel Fisac Serna, born in 1913 in Daimiel, Ciudad Real and died in 2006 in Madrid. He was an essential figure in Spanish architecture in the second half of the twentieth century. He enrolled at the School of Architecture in Madrid, and after hectic studies interrupted by the civil war, in 1942 he graduated with the end of his career award from the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Fernando.
He was always interested in vernacular architecture. In addition, he was inspired by the Nordic organicism of Gunnar Asplund's work that together with Frank Lloyd Wright will influence his concept of architecture.
His first project was commissioned by the CSIC; He transformed the old auditorium of the "Colina de los Chopos" in Madrid in the Capilla del Espíritu Santo.
Miguel Fisac in his career projected numerous religious works. Its ecclesial production stands out for the personal interpretation of religious aesthetics, the use of light and the spatial dynamism and poetics in its forms, with curved walls, converging and tensioned surfaces.
The Parroquia de Santa Ana in Madrid (1965) is considered one of the most important projects. Built in exposed concrete, it manifests an atmosphere of humble simplicity.
His architectural style evolved in relation to the new materials of the time. From abstract classicism, to brick, to the exclusive use of concrete. Fisac researched a lot about this material and patented his “bone beams”. Prefabricated pieces of prestressed concrete that allowed to obtain large lights and control lighting. In 1960 they were used for the first time, in the construction of the Centro de Estudios Hidrográficos in Madrid.
Later, he experimented with various techniques to give texture to concrete, including in his work a more emotional character. His dissatisfaction with the limits of traditional wooden formwork, led him to patent, in 1973, an innovative solution for the time: the "flexible formwork" that could be implemented in the Mupag Rehabilitation Center (Madrid) and in many others later works.
His activity was not reduced only to the field of construction, but his creative ability led him to write articles, books, and design furniture. He made exhibitions, also of art presenting 60 of his paintings in Madrid.
Miguel Fisac built more than 350 projects, including the emblematic "Pagoda" in Madrid, which unfortunately was demolished in 1999. On the contrary, many of his works are protected and cataloged. Some examples are the Church of Pumarejo de Tera (Zamora), the Church of the Apostolic College of the Dominican Fathers (Valladolid), and in Madrid works such as the Parish Center of Santa María Magdalena (1966) or the IBM Building (1967).
All these activities culminate with the obtaining in 1994 of the Gold Medal of Architecture, and three years after the Antonio Camuñas Prize. In 2002 he received the National Architecture Award. Since 2006, the College of Architects of Ciudad Real manages the Fisac Foundation that is responsible for cataloging all documentation, as well as promoting and safeguarding the work of the Spanish architect, urban planner and painter.
His research focuses on the relationship between architecture and photography, he is part of the national research group FAME (Photography and Modern Architecture in Spain from 1925 to 1965) and his reserach and architectural production has been published in national and international magazines and conferences.
Along with Ram≤n Pico, he has won numerous awards for his built work, among which are the FAD 2003 Award on Public Space, where he has been a finalist on three other occasions and categories, the Opinion Award in the 3rd European Biennial of Landscape, Finalist in the VII Spanish Architecture Biennial, Special Mention and Finalist at Camuñas Foundation, Finalist of the Andalusia Architecture Prize and selected for JAE display.
Professor in different Masters in the ETSAM and in Doctorate courses.
From 1978 to 1984 he worked as a free professional carrying out various residential and public works projects. He develops projects in Ciudad Real and province, Toledo and Madrid. In 1984 he won by opposition the position of Municipal Architect in the City Council of Ciudad Real. In 1987 he was appointed General Director of Culture of the JCCM and in 1992 he was appointed Deputy Minister of Culture. Since 1995 he has been Director of the Office of Infrastructure Management at the University of Castilla-La Mancha where he has carried out and directed numerous works projects for the UCLM in Albacete, Ciudad Real, Almadén, Cuenca, Talavera de la Reina and Toledo. From April 2008 to September 2010 he is the CEO of the public company Toletum visigodo responsible for the recovery work of the Vega Baja de Toledo.
From 2010 to 2012 he returns to the University of Castilla-La Mancha. He has published more than fifty books between individual and collective works. He has published in numerous Architecture magazines especially in the Formas Magazine of the Official College of Delegation Architects of Ciudad Real. He writes regularly in the press especially in his weekly collaborations in the Lanza Newspaper and in different blogs.
He currently works as a free professional in his architecture studio.