Grafton Architects was established in 1978. Directors Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara are both graduates of UCD, are Fellows of the RIAI, are International Honorary Fellows of the RIBA and are elected members of Aosdána, the eminent Irish Art organisation.
Teachers at the School of Architecture at University College Dublin from 1976 to 2002, they have been visiting professors at Accademia d’Archittettura, Mendrisio, EPFL, Lausanne, held the Kenzo Tange chair at GSD Harvard and the Louis Kahn chair at Yale University.
They have been external examiners at numerous universities including Cambridge University and The London Metropolitan School of Architecture. As well as public lectures in Dublin and abroad, including the National Gallery of Ireland in Dublin and the Royal Academy in London, they have lectured widely in European and American Schools of Architecture.
Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara. 2020 PRITZKER ARCHITECTURE PRIZE
Currently, it is a team of 14 people who work in various fields of architecture. Their lines of work focus on these five axes: Construction; Cooperative Housing; Pa icipation; Exhibitions and Stage Design; and Urbanism.
The main axis of work on which they apply the knowledge of other fields is the cooperative housing. They have specialized in the promotion of this model as well as in the process of participation of the promotion of the future inhabitants. The most relevant case has been the housing cooperative La Borda, where, in addition to carrying out the architectural project, they have participated in its promotion and all the learning process has been systematized through the book “Habitar en comunidad“ (Libros de la Catarata, 2018).
They are currently building La Balma, a similar housing cooperative in Poblenou, and accompanying several projects in the promotion phase in other places.
In order to promote and make viable the replicability of the model, we work in the design of public policies, advise municipalities, and give conferences and write articles in different publications. Lacol is part of La Dinamo, a foundation for the consolidation of cooperative housing in Catalonia.
• Prize “Ciutat de Barcelona” 2018.
• Prize on Built Construction in Architecture at the BBConstrumat 2019.
• Nominated at the Début Award Lisbon Triennale (announced October 5th 2019).
• Mention at the Bonaplata 2018 awards for a study on the industrial heritage of Vilassar de Mar.
• Prize AJAC for the housing coop project “Coop de falç”, together with Arqbag.
Books published by Lacol
• “Construir en col·lectiu” (CAT/ESP/ENG), Pol·len Edicions 2018.
• “Habitar en comunidad”, with La Ciutat Invisible, Libros de la Catarata/Arquia, 2018.
• “El Vilassar de Mar Fabril”. Pagès edicions, 2018.
• “Inventari de Can Batlló. Teixint una història col·lectiva.” Curated by Lacol. Riera de Magòria, 2013.
- LA BIENNALE DI VENEZIA
- Sport Centers
- Arts Centre
- Arts Centre
- Botanical Garden
- Cultural Centre
- Theaters Cinemas
- Prayer centers
- Industrial center
- Funeral home
- University Research
- Care Centre
- Police Station
- Firemen, Rescue
- Firefighters, Rescue
- City Hall