Genaro Alas, architect of essentials and abstraction

More information

Genaro Alas, Pedro Casariego Estudio Alas y Casariego

Studio founded in 1955 by the architects Genaro Alas and Pedro Casariego. Authors of major projects in the city of Madrid, such as the Monky factory (1964), the Generali building (1962), the Centro Building (1967) and the Windsor Tower (1979).

Genaro Alas Rodríguez, architect and co-founder of the Alas Casariego studio in 1955. Born in Madrid in 1926, he studied architecture at the Madrid School of Architecture, graduating in 1954 and obtaining his Doctorate in Architecture in 1966.

In his professional life, he worked as an architect for the National Institute of Colonisation in the Cáceres Delegation during 1954-1955. In this work, in addition to numerous restoration projects, he designed and directed the "Vegaviana" settlement, in collaboration with the architect J. L. Fernández del Amo, and the "Rincón del Obispo" settlement. He also directed the "La Moheda" and "Rincón de Ballesteros" settlements. In addition, during 1956-1957, he worked as a technical advisor architect for the National Housing Institute in the Cáceres Delegation, and as an architect representing the General Directorate of Architecture in the Provincial Housing Commission of Cáceres and Badajoz. In 1960, he was a member of the Spanish team selected by the National Productivity Commission to study Prefabrication in construction in Europe. Likewise, in 1967, he was a member of the team selected as head of the team for the drafting of Judicial Architecture projects in Madrid Capital for the Ministry of Justice.

During the period 1962-1971, he was an assistant lecturer in the subject "Construction IV-Prefabrication" at his alma mater, the ETSA in Madrid. In 1967, he was assistant lecturer at the seminar "Flexible administrative buildings" of the National Service of Industrial Productivity. In 1990, he was a lecturer at the "New Technologies and Architecture: Intelligent Environments" course at the Universidad Hispanoamericana de Santa María de la Rábida.

Pedro Casariego H-Vaquero, architect and co-founder of the Alas Casariego studio in 1955. Born in Oviedo in 1927, he studied architecture at the Escuela Técnica Superior de Arquitectura in Madrid, graduating in 1953 and obtaining his Doctorate in Architecture in 1966. During his student years, he worked as an assistant in the Galmes-Lantero studio, and won prizes for various painting competitions at the Colegio Mayor Ximénez de Cisneros in Madrid.

In his professional life, he was a member of the Governing Board of the COAM, in 1959 as a member, and in 1965 he was chairman of the COAM's Culture Committee as well as a member of the board. He was also a member of the Editorial Committee of the Architecture magazine of the Colegio de Arquitectos de Madrid. He was part of the team selected by the National Productivity Commission to study Prefabrication in European Construction in 1960. Commissioned by the Madrid Housing Institute, he coordinated the integral rehabilitation of the Tetuán neighbourhood in Madrid, in the period 1984-1987, in collaboration with Carlos Ferrán. Likewise, in 1985, he was part of the team selected as head of the team for the drafting of Judicial Architecture projects in Madrid for the Ministry of Justice.

He worked as a lecturer in charge of Projects II at the ETSAM, where he later became interim professor of the same subject, during the period 1980-1987. He was a member of the seminar on flexible offices of the National Service of Industrial Productivity. He gave lectures on the "Encounters for the rehabilitation of Urban Centres and Rural Areas", and participated in the "International Conference on Hospital Planning", in his home town, Oviedo. In 1992, he directed the UIMP Summer Course "Encounters with Architecture".

He was also curator of the exhibition "Proyectos de la Dirección General de Arquitectura y Edificación" in 1986, and director of the II Biennial of Architecture, promoted by the CSCAE, the MOPT and the UIMP in 1992.

Categories

Prev
Prev

Our selection