Structure.- Erfurt+Mathes, Chemnitz.
Systems.- Obermeyer Albis-Bauplan GmbH, Chemnitz. Elektroplanungsbüro Künzel, Chemnitz.
Iluminación.- Light Design Engineering Belzner Holmes, Stuttgart.
Building physics.- Müller-BBM GmbH, Dresden.
Area.- 9,800 m².
Start date.- 01/2009.
Construction start.- 06/2010.
Completion dates.- May 2014.- 12/2013 (conversion), 05/2014 (museum).
Carlo Weber, born 1934 in Saarbrücken, Germany, died May 2014, was a German architect and professor, the founder and senior partner of Auer Weber Architekten. He studied at the TH Stuttgart and the École Nationale Supérieure des Beaux Arts in Paris. He graduated in 1961 in Stuttgart. He worked for Behnisch und Lambart in Stuttgart between 1960 and 1965 and he became a partner of Behnisch & Partner in 1966. In 1980 Auer and Weber founded their own practice. Carlo Weber was a lecturer at the University of Stuttgart from 1980 to 1990 and he was professor for Building Theory and Design at the TU Dresden from 1992 to 1999. He had been a member of the Academy of the Arts in Saxony since 1996.
Fritz Auer, born 1933 in Tübingen, is a founder member of Auer Weber Architekten. He studied at the TH Stuttgart as well as at Cranbrook Academy of Arts in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, USA. He graduated in 1962 in Stuttgart. He worked for Behnisch und Lambart in Stuttgart until 1965 when he became a partner of Behnisch & Partner. In 1980 Auer and Weber left the partnership to found their own practice. Fritz Auer was professor of Building Construction and Design at the FH Munich from 1985 to 1992 and professor of Design at the Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design from 1993 to 2001. He has been a member of the Academy of the Arts in Berlin since 1993.
Thomas Knerer was born in 1963 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. After he graduated he trained as a mason in Munich between 1982 and 1984 and studied from Architecture at the Technical University of Munich and the London South Bank University, 1984-1991. In 1993 he founded the architecture practice Knerer und Lang Architekten in Dresden, together with Eva Maria Lang. He has been a guest lecturer at the Education Center for Conservation and Restoration of old buildings at TU Dresden. From 1999 to 2008 he taught building construction at the West Saxon University of Zwickau (FH).
Eva Maria Lang was born in 1964 in Munich. She studied architecture at the Technical University of Munich between 1985 and 1991. From 1994 to 2001 she taught at the Technical University of Dresden and has been a guest lecturer at the Education Center for Conservation and Restoration of old buildings of the TU Dresden.
He was the fifth of six children; his mother was Emma Esther (née Jaruslawsky), a hatmaker and his father David was a shopkeeper. He attended a humanist Gymnasium in Allenstein and continued with commercial training in Berlin.
In 1906 he took up the study of national economics at the University of Munich. In 1908 he began studying architecture at the Technical University of Berlin; two years later he transferred to the Technical University of Munich, where in 1912 he graduated cum laude. In Munich he was influenced by Theodor Fischer, an architect whose own work fell between neo-classical and Jugendstil, and who had been teaching there since 1907; Mendelsohn also made contact with members of Der Blaue Reiter and Die Brücke, two groups of expressionist artists.
From 1912 to 1914 he worked as an independent architect in Munich. In 1915 he married the cellist Luise Maas. Between 1910 and 1953 they corresponded with each other; these materials provide insight into the lives of an artist and couple who experienced a changing international landscape, including their fleeing from the Third Reich in Germany in 1933. Through his wife, he met the cello-playing astrophysicist Erwin Finlay Freundlich. Freundlich was the brother of Herbert Freundlich, the deputy director of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institut für Physikalische Chemie und Elektrochemie (now the Fritz Haber Institute of the Max Planck Society in the Dahlem district of Berlin). Freundlich wished to build a suitable astronomical observatory to experimentally confirm Einstein's Theory of Relativity.
Through his relationship with Freundlich, Mendelsohn had the opportunity to design and build the Einsteinturm ("Einstein Tower"). This relationship and also the family friendship with the Luckenwalde hat manufacturers Salomon and Gustav Herrmann helped Mendelsohn to an early success. From then until 1918, what is known of Mendelsohn is, above all, a multiplicity of sketches of factories and other large buildings, often in small format or in letters from the front to his wife, Louise Mendelsohn (née Maes) (1895–1980). The 2011 documentary film by Duki Dror titled "Incessant Visions" is about Erich Mendelsohn and his wife, in which Dror animates the memoirs of Louise and the letters.