His works include the SyV Tower in the set of Cuatro Torres Business Area of the Castellana in Madrid, the Indra headquarters in Alcobendas and Torrejón de Ardoz, a Tower in Isla de Chamartín, the remodeling of the Scope of the Cebada Market, the Madrid Río landscape intervention integrated into the M-Río team and the Partial Plan of the Mahou-Vicente Calderón area in Madrid.
He has obtained among others the Veronica Rudge Green Award by Harvard University in 2015, the Green Urban Planning / Landscape Architecture Award 2013, the International Architecture Award 2012. The Chicago Athenaeum, the FAD Award 2012 Architecture and Landscape, the Plus award 2012, the Urban Design and International Landscaping Award (CICA) at the XIII Buenos Aires Architecture Biennial 2011, the Madrid Award 2011 from the College of Civil Engineers, Canals and Ports, the COAM Distinction for the Work of Architects 2009, 2011 and 2012, the COAM Award for Architecture 1989, the Madrid City Council Award for New Construction 1992 and 2006, the Award from the Basque Navarro College of Architects 1999, the City of Alcalá de Henares Award for Architecture 2003, selected at the Architecture Biennial of Venice of 2004, Asprima awards 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2012 and the Anthological Prize of Contemporary Architecture in Castilla-La Mancha 2006.
Alejandro de la Sota (Pontevedra, 1913; Madrid 1996) is one of the greatest masters of the Spanish Architecture of the 20th Century. He was a professor at the School of Architecture of Madrid (ETSAM), serving its trail as a reference for several generations of Spanish architects.
During the thirties, he moved from his home town Pontevedra to Madrid where he started his studies in the Faculty of Mathematics, which was a necessary condition to enter in the School of Architecture. Once he got his degree in Architecture in 1941, he spent the first years of his professional life working for the National Institute of Colonization; a stage that ended up with the construction of the village of Esquivel (Sevilla, 1952-1963) and Arvesú House(Madrid, 1953-1955, demolished). Since then, he participated in different competitions, following the same idea as he did in his previous work, the Civil Government of Tarragona (1957-1964). This building has been considered by many people his first masterpiece. During this prolific period he did several projects of modern industrial architecture, such as Clesa Dairy Plant (Madrid, 1958-1961) and CENIM premises in the Campus of the University(Madrid, 1963-1965) and he also built his most recognized and admired work, the Gymnasium of Maravillas School (Madrid, 1960-1962); which is considered by the British critic William Curtis, the most significant work of Contemporary Spanish Architecture.
In 1960 he obtained a job as a Government officer at the Post Office, and throughout this decade, he researched the possibilities that new materials provide and developed several projects based on a constructive approach consisting of the use of prefabricated concrete panels for walls and floors. This idea is shown in Varela’s House in Villalba (Madrid, 1964-1968).
In 1971 he leaves the university education as a professor, coming back to his public service position at the Post Office. During these years he built César Carlos Residence Hall in the Campus of the University (Madrid, 1968-1971), the building for class and lecture rooms of the University of Sevilla (1972-1973) and Guzmán’s House in Santo Domingo ‘s urbanization (Madrid, 1972-1974), in which he tried out issues to be applied afterwards in Domínguez’s House in A Caeira (Pontevedra, 1973-1978). The Computer Center for the PO Box in La Vaguada (Madrid, 1972-1977) and years later, the Post and Telecommunications Building in León (1981-1984) belongs to a stage where he was completely involved in light prefabricated techniques.