Charles Édouard Jeanneret-Gris was born in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland in October 6th, 1887. He is best known as Le Corbusier, one of the most important architects of the XX Century that together with Walter Gropius, Ludwig Mies van der Rore and Frank Lloyd Wright rise up as the fathers of the Modern Architecture. In his long career he worked in France, Germany, Switzerland, the United States, Argentina, India and Japan.
Jeanneret was admited in the Art School of La Chaux-de-Fonds in 1902. He knew there Charles l’Éplattenier, his first teacher, and he became interested in architecture. He built his first house, Villa Fallet, in 1906 and one year later he set out his first great journey to Italy. From 1908-1909 he worked in Perret Bother’s Studio, where he focussed on the employment of the concrete and from 1910-1911 he coincided with Mies van der Rohe in this studio in Berlin.
In 1917, Charles Édouard Jeanneret set up finally in Paris. The next year he met the painter Amedée Ozenfant and he displayed his first paints and wrote his first book, Après le Cubismo. In 1919 he founded the magazine l´Esprit nouveau, where he published unnumbered articles, signing with the pseudonym Le Corbusier for first time.
He opened his own Studio in 1922, in the number 35 of the rue de Sèvres. In this decade in when his laboratory epoch started and he carried out great number of activities as painter, essayist and writer. But also as architect he planned some of the most recognizable icons of the modern architecture and developed the principles of the free plan. Some of this works are: the Villa Roche-Jeanneret, the Villa Savoye in Poissy and the Siedlungweissenhof’s houses built in Stuttgart in 1927. It should be pointed out that at the same time; he set out the “five points” of the architecture.
Le Corbusier projected “The contemporary three million population city” in 1922 and in 1925 put forward the Voisin plan of Paris, which are one of his most important urban proposals. Three years later, in 1928, through his initiative the CIAM were created and in 1929 he published his first edition of the Oeuvre Complète.
In the 30s, he collaborated with the magazines Plans and Prélude, where he became enthusiastic about the urbanism and he started, in 1930, to elaborate the drawings of the “Radiant City” as a result of the “Green City” planned for Moscu, his project would be summarized in the “Radiant Villa”, which was enclosed with the projects for Amberes, Stockholm and Paris. By 1931 he presented Argel, a proposal that composed the Obus Plan. And in 1933 the 4th CIAM passed of and there he edited the Athens Document.
Le Corbusier, in 1943, he Developer the “Three Human Establishments Doctrine” and founded the Constructors Assembly for the Architectural Renovation (ASCORAL). He made the project the Unite d´habitation of Marsella in 1952, which was the first one of a serial of similar buildings. At the same time the works of the Chandigarh in India began, where he planned the mean governmental buildings. Nevertheless, in the same decade, he worked in France too, in the Notre-Dame-du-Haut chapel in Ronchamp, in the convent of La Tourette in Éveux, Jaoul’s houses in Neuilly and the Unites d´habitation of Rézé-lès-Nantes, Briey-en-Forêt and Firminy.
He wrote and Publisher his worldwide known study of the Modulor in 1948 followed by a second part in 1953. Meanwhile the next Le Corbusier’s books had a more autobiographic nature, among them the Le poème de l'angle droit (1955), l'Atelier de la recherche patiente (1960) and Mise aupoint (1966) stand out.
Le Corbusier, in the end of his life, created many projects that would not be built, for example a calculus centre for Olivetti en Rho, Milan; a congress in Strasbourg, the France embassy in Brasilia and a new hospital in Venice.
He dead drowned the 27th of August of 1965 in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin.
- Heidi Weber and Le Corbusier. Une collaboration exceptionelle
- Paris, part 2 architecture guide: 22 buildings more [II]
- Paris, Best Architecture Guide. 20 unmissable buildings to see in the city of Paris
- Berlin, Best Architecture Guide. 20 buildings in Berlin you should know
- Le Corbusier's trace in Argentine architecture in the second half of the 20th century
- Le Corbusier's legacy through 10 projects
- 10 architects of the first half of the 20th century that you should not forget
- Asile Flottant of Le Corbusier. Launch of rehabilitation works in May 2020
- Zurich Pavillon Le Corbusier, reopened
- Le Corbusier's Paris Apartment-Studio reopens its doors to the public
- Tadao Ando renovates the new buildign of Wrightwood 659, a Chicago’s Newest Art Space
- Theater Neelam, by Le Corbusier, through the look of Edmund Sumner photographer
- Is Le Corbusier’s Villa Savoye stranded in the Danish Vejle Fjord? Flooded Modernity by Asmund Havsteen-Mikkelsen
- Restoration of Le Corbusier's studio-apartment
- Maison d'Homme by Le Corbusier
- "Le Corbusier. Art and design" at Guillermo de Osma Gallery
- Getty Conservation Institute announces workshop for conservation of three museums designed by Le Corbusier
- Le Corbusier’s Cité Frugès, Prototype City of Workers in the 1920's
- Le Corbusier's Monastery of Sainte-Marie de la Tourette
- Le Corbusier's Maison La Roche-Jeanneret designed for Albert Jeanneret and Raoul La Roche
- Villa Savoye and Villa Dall'Ava
- Le Corbusier; Unité d'habitation of Berlin
- Villa Savoye, Le Corbusier's machine of inhabit
- 17 of Le Corbusier's works are already part of the World Heritage
- When Utzon met Le Corbusier. Final touch to the Sydney Opera House: a Le Corbusier tapestry
- 10 deaths of architects
- Opened to the public the Gardener's House of Villa Savoye
- At 50, lights and shadows. 10 videos on Le Corbusier.
- Le Corbusier. Mesures de L’Homme
- Eileen Gray's 1027 resurrected and Gray Matters, documentary
- Two minutes to explain The Design Principles of Le Corbusier
- Parkour Architectural. Villa Savoye
- This summer, a visit at studio-apartment Le Corbusier
- Le Corbusier: An Atlas of Modern Landscapes. CaixaForum Madrid.
- Rare film of Le Corbusier in his Paris home and studio
- Le Corbusier and the question of brutalism
- The Price of Desire
- Le Corbusier Secret Photographer
- Villa Savoye, The Five Points of a New Architecture
- Le Corbusier: An Atlas of Modern Landscapes [II]
- Le Corbusier in New York
- Le Corbusier's Cité Radieuse rooftop to open as art space
- "Moment. Le Corbusier: The Secret Laboratory"
- Le Corbusier: An Atlas of Modern Landscapes at MoMA
- Casa Curutchet by Le Corbusier