David Chipperfield Architects Wins Competition to Transform Former Industrial Site in Berlin

More information

Architects
David Chipperfield Architects Berlin. Partners.- David Chipperfield, Christoph Felger (Design lead), Harald Müller. Project architect.- Lena Ehringhaus, Peter von Matuschka.
Competition Team
Wolfgang Baumeister, Leander Bulst, Janis Kaisinger,Kristin Karig, Katrin Lembke, Annalisa Massari, Philipp Müller, Franziska Rusch, Maximilian Schäfer, Kawalpreet Singh, Nadine Söll, Charlotte Spichalsky; Grafik, Visualisierung: Konrad Basan, Kerstin Bigalke, Dalia Liksaite, Ken Polster, David Wegner, Simon Wiesmaier, Ute Zscharnt.
Collaborators
Landscape architect.- Wirtz International N.V., Schoten. Story.- In collaboration with Shirin Sabahi, artist; Something Fantastic.- Julian Schubert, Elena Schütz. City planning.- BSM mbH, Berlin. Traffic planning.- LK Argus GmbH, Berlin. Acoustic consultant.- Müller-BBM GmbH, Berlin.
Client
Laborgh Investment GmbH
Developer
Berlin Senate Department for Urban Development and Housing.
Area
Superficie bruta.- 250.000 m²

David Chipperfield

David Chipperfield was born in London in 1953 and studied architecture at the Kingston School of Art and the Architectural Association School of Architecture in London before working at the practices of Douglas Stephen, Richard Rogers and Norman Foster.

In 1985 he founded David Chipperfield Architects, which today has over 300 staff at its offices in London, Berlin, Milan and Shanghai.

David Chipperfield has taught and held conferences in Europe and the United States and has received honorary degrees from the universities of Kingston and Kent.

He is a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and an honorary fellow of both the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and the Bund Deutscher Architekten (BDA). In 2009 he was awarded the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany and in 2010 he received a knighthood for services to architecture in the UK and Germany. In 2011 he received the RIBA Royal Gold Medal for Architecture and in 2013 the Praemium Imperiale from the Japan Art Association, while in 2021 he was appointed a member of the Order of the Companions of Honour in recognition of a lifetime’s work.

In 2012 he curated the 13th International Architecture Exhibition of the Venice Biennale.

Jacques Wirtz

Jacques Wirtz (31 December 1924, Antwerp, Belgium – 21 July 2018, Schoten, Belgium) to Maurice and Maria (Van Nes) Wirtz. He was a Belgian landscape gardener. Wirtz was born in Schoten, a suburb of Antwerp. His family were stockbrokers. He studied landscape architecture at a horticultural school in Vilvoorde. He was forced to work in a nursery in Germany during the Second World War. He started his own business in 1950, as garden designer and later landscape architect. He has four children. His sons Martin (born 1963) and Peter (born 1961) joined the firm in 1990. It is the largest landscape design business in Belgium.

Wirtz is particularly noted for his use of evergreens clipped to create undulating "clouds" of foliage, creating a green architecture that lasts all year, together with a retrained palette of herbaceous planting. He believes that his gardens should preserve and enhance the spirit of place, rather than stamping his own mark on the landscape.

He came to public notice after being commissioned to design the garden for the Belgian pavilion at Expo '70 in Osaka. Perhaps his largest public commission was the redesigned Jardin du Carrousel in the Tuileries Gardens in Paris, a long-running project which started in 1990 and was completed in 2004. President Mitterrand also asked him to redesign the gardens at the Élysée Palace (1992). In addition to many small and large gardens for industrial or domestic settings, his firm has designed gardens in Belgium at Cogels Park in Schoten (1977), the campus of Antwerp University (1978), Bremweide Park in Antwerp (1978), for the Belgian headquarters of BMW at Bornemat (1985), a garden running down the centre of Albert II Boulevard in Brussels (1992), and gardens at the Château De Groote Mot in Borgloon (1994), part of the garden at Hex Castle in Heers (1995), and the garden at the Château de Vinderhoute (1997); in Luxembourg, for the Banque de Luxembourg (1996) and Banque Générale du Luxembourg (1997); and the renovated garden at Alnwick Castle (2001), and Jubilee Park in Canary Wharf in England.

He received the Golden Medal of the Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Science and the Arts in 2006, when he was compared with André Le Nôtre, William Kent, and Lancelot “Capability” Brown.

Categories

Prev
Prev

Our selection