Kazuyo Sejima (Ibaraki, Japan, 1956) and Ryue Nishizawa (Kanagawa, Japan, 1966) worked independently from each other before founding the SANAA Ltd. studio in 1995. Having studied architecture at the Japan Women’s University, Sejima went on to work for the renowned architect Toyo Ito. She set up her own studio in 1987 and in 1992 was proclaimed Young Architect of the Year in Japan. Nishizawa studied architecture at the Yokohama National University. In addition to his work with Sejima, he has had his own practice since 1997.
The studio has built several extraordinarily successful commercial and institutional buildings, civic centres, homes and museums both in Japan and elsewhere. These include the O Museum in Nagano (1999) and the N Museum in Wakayama (1997), the Day-Care Center in Yokohama (2000), the Prada Beauty Store in Tokyo and Hong Kong (2001), the Issey Miyake and Christian Dior Building in Tokyo (2003) and the 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art in Kanazawa (2004). Sejima also designed the famous Small House in Tokyo (2000), the Toledo Museum of Art Glass Pavilion, Toledo, Ohio (2001-2006), the extension to the Institut Valencia d’Art Modern, Valencia, Spain (2002 – ), the Zollverein School, Essen, Germany (2003-2006), the New Museum of Contemporary Art, New York (2003-2007) and the Novartis Campus WSJ-157 Office Building, Basle, Switzerland (2003 – ).
In 2004 Sejima and Nishizawa were awarded the Golden Lion at the 9th Venice Architecture Biennale for their distinguished work on the Metamorph exhibition.
Kazuyo Sejima and Ryue Nishizawa have won the 2010 Pritzker Prize.
The 12th International Architecture Exhibition, was directed by Kazuyo Sejima, the first woman to direct the venice architecture biennale, since its inception in 1980.
Ryue Nishizawa and Kazuyo Sejima.
- 30 Buildings that reflect the conception of space in Japan
- 12 extraordinary projects designed by Japanese studio SANAA
- Evanescence architecture. Serpentine Gallery Pavilion 2009 by SANAA
- Samaritaine reopens after an exceptional renovation by SANAA and team
- SANAA wins major Maritime Museum Competition in Shenzhen
- First images of the new facade of the Grand Magasin La Samaritaine by SANAA
- New details of SANAA’s Art Gallery of New South Wales expansion
- TOKYO RIDE - Ryūe Nishizawa and Kazuyo Sejima. New Film by Beka & Lemoine, Coming Soon!
- Kazuyo Sejima designed Laview train to travel floating into landscape
- SANAA's Bezalel Academy in Jerusalem opening for 2022
- Traditional shapes and contemporary technique in the new Tsuruoka Cultural Hall by SANAA
- The Hyatt Foundation Appoints Kazuyo Sejima as New Jury Member for The Pritzker Architecture Prize
- A small passenger terminal shaped like a cloud. New Naoshima Port Pavilion by SANAA
- The River by SANAA finalist in the MCHAP 2014/2015
- A Japanese Constellation: Toyo Ito, SANAA, and Beyond, at MoMA
- SANAA selected ahead of Snøhetta to build New National Gallery of Hungary
- The Zollverein School of Management and Design by SANAA
- SANAA's meandering river building at Grace Farms set to open
- [VIDEO] Louvre-Lens by SANAA
- SANAA selected to design the new Art Gallery NSW building
- SANAA's proposal: New National Gallery/Ludwig Museum [I/II]
- New National Gallery/Ludwig Museum has Snøhetta and SANAA tied for 1st prize
- Home-for-All in Tsukihama, Miyatojima by SANAA
- 10 Architecture Studios Led by Women
- It revokes part of planning permission for SANAA's La Samaritaine project
- [Japan Collection #4] Shibaura House by Kazuyo Sejima
- "Art House Project" by Kazuyo Sejima
- SANAA has won the contest for the design of the Taichung City Cultural Center
- SANAA unveil final plans for Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design
- Build a curtain.  [In detail] SANAA Factory Building
- Factory Building on the Vitra Campus by SANAA
- Architects Chosen To Design Xiqu Centre for West Kowloon Cultural District
- Musée Louvre-LENS by SANAA [II]
- Opening, Musée Louvre-LENS by SANAA
- New Campus Bocconi by SANAA
- Kazuyo Sejima chooses Yang Zhao as Rolex Architecture Protégé
- "MIYATO-JIMA RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT" by Sanaa
- A Connecticut Building for Sanaa
- 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art
- [II] SHIBAURA HOUSE in Tokyo by Kazuyo Sejima
- House in Hayama. 妹島和世さんの建築・葉山の住宅
- SHIBAURA HOUSE in Tokyo by Kazuyo Sejima
- SANAA at Paris. La Samaritaine by Sanaa
- Rolex Learning Center at EPFL. SANAA
- SANAA. Installation at Barcelona Pavilion