Denise Scott Brown, (born as Denise Lakofski) (Nkana, Rhodesia, October 3rd 1931) is a postmodern architect, urbanist, writer and teacher. Expert in urban and educational planning at universities such as Berkeley, Yale and Harvard, she wrote in 1972 in collaboration with Robert Venturi and Steven Izenour Learning from Las Vegas: the forgotten symbolism of architectural form, one of the most influential books in architecture in the second half of the twentieth century. It is considered the most famous woman architect of the second half of the twentieth century. She married Robert Venturi in 1967 and they have worked together since 1969, but in 1991 she was excluded from the Pritzker Prize prompting protests and debates about the difficulties of women architects to be recognized in their profession. Finally, they were awarded jointly with the AIA Gold Medal 2016 becoming the second woman in history to win the most prestigious award in the world of architecture and the first living woman to receive this galardón. She is a member of the architectural Studio Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates of Philadelphia (USA), which in 2012, following the retirement of Venturi, became VSBA Architects & Planners.
Patricia Llosa is an architect from Ricardo Palma University. She did the Master 'Architecture, Criticism and Projects' at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Spain (1999). She has participated in various courses, conferences and workshops on teaching and creating projects.
Rodolfo Cortegana is an architect from Ricardo Palma University, where he received the award for the best thesis supported by the Museum of Contemporary Art. He did a master's in Museology at the University of Ricardo Palma. He also conducted research on Public space and its interaction with the Climate', receiving a grant from the Belgian government.
She created a studio with James Thomas Alliston, named as Alliston & Drew, working in housing in Winchester. She become one of the founders and promoters of MARS Group (association of architects, artists and industrialist to disseminate the ideas and practices of Modern Movement).
Le Corbusier, Maxwell Fry and Drew were commissioned to design the city of Chandigargh, in India. In war time between 1939 and 1944, Drew has her first office, with the idea of employing only female architects. After the II World War in 1950, she cofounded with Maxwell Fry, a studio as Fry, Drew and Partners, focusing on the development of housing architecture.
She was the first woman to be part of the Council of Royal Institute of Britain Architects (RIBA). In 1996 she was named Lady of the British Empire. Since 1998, the Jane Drew Prize has been named as a tribute, awarded annually by the Architects Journal.
Selldorf Architects. 65-person architectural design practice founded in New York in 1988 by Annabelle Selldorf, Selldorf Architects creates public and private spaces that manifest a clear and modern sensibility of enduring impact. The firm has particular expertise creating architecture that enhances the experience of art, having worked internationally on numerous museums, galleries, art foundations, and other cultural projects.
Past projects include the Neue Galerie in New York, which, like the Frick, was originally designed in 1914 by Carrère and Hastings; the Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, MA; LUMA Arles, a new center for contemporary art in Southern France; and galleries for David Zwirner and Hauser & Wirth, amongst others. Current projects include the expansion of the Museum of Contemporary Art in San Diego and the Swiss Institute in New York, which will open in June 2018.
The event prompted her deeper involvement in the Italian Communist Party. In 1945, Domus commissioned Bo Bardi to travel around Italy with Carlo Pagani and photographer Federico Patellani to document and evaluate the situation of the destroyed country. Bo Bardi, Pagani and Bruno Zevi established the weekly magazine A – Attualità, Architettura, Abitazione, Arte in Milan (A Cultura della Vita). She also collaborated on the daily newspaper Milano Sera, directed by Elio Vittorini. Bo Bardi took part in the First National Meeting for Reconstruction in Milan, alerting people to the indifference of public opinion on the subject, which for her covered both the physical and moral reconstruction of the country.
In 1946, Bo Bardi moved to Rome and married the art critic and journalist Pietro Maria Bardi.
In Brazil, Bo Bardi expanded his ideas influenced by a recent and overflowing culture different from the European situation. Along with her husband, they decided to live in Rio de Janeiro, delighted with the nature of the city and its modernist buildings, like the current Gustavo Capanema Palace, known as the Ministry of Education and Culture, designed by Le Corbusier, Oscar Niemeyer, Lucio Costa, Roberto Burle Marx and a group of young Brazilian architects. Pietro Bardi was commissioned by a museum from Sao Paulo city where they established their permanent residence.
There they began a collection of Brazilian popular art (its main influence) and his work took on the dimension of the dialogue between the modern and the Popular. Bo Bardi spoke of a space to be built by living people, an unfinished space that would be completed by the popular and everyday use.
LU Wenyu. WANG Shu and LU Wenyu founded the Amateur Architecture Studio in 1998. This Hangzhou-based practice has grown during the past eight years into a famous name in China. The Amateur Architecture Studio’s best-known projects are the Wenzheng Library in Suzhou University, the Harbor Art Museum in Ningbo and the Xiangshan Campus of the China Academy of Art in Hangzhou.
The Amateur Architecture Studio was engaged in experimental research projects, for example Sanhe House in the China International Practical Exhibition of Architecture in Nanjing, the Ceramic Tea House in Jinhua Architecture Park in Jinghua. The projects have been shown in international exhibitions from 2001 including “TU MU-Young Architecture of China” in AEDES Gallery, Berlin (Germany), Shanghai Biennale 2002 at the Shanghai Art Museum in Shanghai, (China), Alors, La Chine?, Centre Pompidou in Paris (France), Synthi-Scapes: Chinese Pavilion of the 50th Venice Biennale in the Guangdong Museum of Art, Guangzhou (China) and in the Art Museum of the Central Academy, Beijing (China). The projects have been published in China and abroad.
As an architect, she has been awarded in competitions such as the Mapocho Station Cultural Center (1992, 3rd prize) together with D. Prieto, S. Álvarez and D. Rodríguez; in the new Auditorium and Library of the Faculty of Architecture, Design and Urban Studies of the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile (1995, 1st prize), together with T. Fernández and S. Radic and in the Consistorial building for the Illustrious Municipality of Vitacura (2000, 1st mention) together with S.Radic, G. Puga and R. Serpell.
Between 1990 and 1993 she was editor of the CA Magazine of the College of Architects of Chile and was Director of the School of Architecture of the Universidad Nacional Andrés Bello. She has been a professor at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile and the Universidad Nacional Andrés Bello in Santiago; In 2007, she was a visiting professor at the University of Texas School of Architecture in Austin, USA.
They have received two silver medals for the Academy of Architecture of Jalisco and several citations for his work built. Obtained the second place in the competition of the Mexico Pavilion in the Shanghai Expo 2010 and first place in the Eco Pavilion 2013 in Mexico City.
Awarded by The Architectural League of New York with the Emerging Voices award 2014. They have recently exhibited his work in LIGA, Space of Architecture 2015.
Magui Peredo (1979). She holds a degree in architecture by ITESO (Instituto Tecnologico de Estudios Superiores de Occidente) and a master degree in Theory and History of Architecture by the UPC (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya) in Barcelona.
Prior founding Macías Peredo, she has worked in various national and international studios. She has been invited lecturer and critic at various universities in the country and has presented her research on Mathias Goeritz at various national forums.
Since 2010 she holds a teaching position at ITESO, university based in the city of Guadalajara. She is co-founder and director at Estudio Macías Peredo.
Salvador Macías (1977). He holds an honour degree in architecture by ITESO (Instituto Tecnologico de Estudios Superiores de Occidente) and a master degree in Theory and Practice of the Architecture Project by the UPC (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya) in Barcelona.
His work has been exhibited at institutions such as Palacio de Bellas Artes in Mexico City and the Instituto Cultural Cabañas in Guadalajara. He has been a collaborator of the project Torre CUBE 2 of Carme Pinós studio from Barcelona. He also has been one of the lecturers at the 53rd Congress of Americanists held in Mexico City in 2009, with the theme ‘Josef Albers, Approaches to Mexican Architecture’, research work published by UNAM in 2010.
Since 2010 he holds a teaching position at ITESO. He is currently member of the Luis Barragán Architecture Foundation and co-founder and director at Estudio Macías Peredo.
León has been a visiting professor at the Graduate School of Design, Harvard University (2007) where she taught an architecture workshop for advanced programs: GSD1318 Urban Desert Studio. Her most recent literary work is called "Desert-Density" which contains 15 years of research in the field of architecture and urban fabrics in the desert.
Her first project, Casa Mori in Playa Bonita, was chosen as a finalist in the I Biennial of Architecture and Civil Engineering of Madrid. In 2000, she was a finalist in the II Mies van der Rohe Prize for Latin American Architecture. She was selected by the MAK, Center for Art and Architecture, for the UFI Program with the proposal LA-LIMA, Probing the Urban Desert or Testing the Desert, being nominated in the same year to receive the Marcus Prize in architecture.
She is the principal architect and director of the agency MANUELLE GAUTRAND ARCHITECTURE. She mainly designs buildings in areas as diverse as cultural facilities (theaters, museums, and cultural centers), office buildings, housing, commercial and leisure facilities, etc… Her clients are public contracting authorities as well as private firms, in France and abroad. In 2007 Manuelle Gautrand’s the “C42″ Citroen Flagship Showroom on the Champs-Elysées Avenue in Paris gained attention and widespread acclaim in the international arena and from a large audience.
• Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur, April 2010
• Chevalier dans l’ordre des Arts et des Lettres, December 2007
French National Institutions .-
• Member of Ordre des Architectes Français since 1990
• Titular member Académie d’Architecture (France) since 2005
Other activities .-
• Teaching at the Ecole Spéciale d’Architecture de Paris (1999 -2000), the Ecole d’Architecture Paris-Val-de-Seine (2000-2003), at the Technische Universität in Vienne, Austria Vienne (2009) and at the University of Florida School of Architecture in the United States (2010)
• Lectures in architecture schools and public institutions, regular participation in seminars, panel discussions, etc…
• Numerous press articles, publications in architecture books, etc…
• Solo and collective architecture exhibitions
• Works entered into the collections of Centre Pompidou in Paris and of La Cité de l’Architecture et du Patrimoine in Paris
• Several documentary films on her work were broadcasted on ARTE Channel in 2008 and 2009 (“l’Art & la Manière” and “Chic”).